Skip to main content

My Dear Darling (1)

Day 1
My Dear Darling,
     I cannot believe we parted only last sunset. The hours feel like days and I miss you terribly already. I think the sight of you waving me goodbye with tears, in that beautiful blue gown we had tailored last month, is going to stay with my eyes for a long time to come. I have slept not a wink through the night and it is only the first day. I hope you manage to bear our separation better than I do.
     Our train just crossed the second city. I sit here on my bunk with my fellow soldiers, writing to our loved ones. Crumpled blankets and creased pantaloons even before the fight begins. I am sure the parchments and this tiny vial of ink will become my most precious treasure through this battle.
     This letter will reach you fast as I am not so far away from you. It pains my heart to think that the farther I get from you, the longer it will take for my letters to reach you, and even longer for your correspondence to reach me.
     Everyone here is still consumed by the sadness of being separated from their love. But naught can a man do when a duty as this one calls. I wonder what happens when the fear settles in, when they know in their hearts that every minute they pass could be their last. That day is inching closer and closer. As soon as we reach the encampment, our battalions would be assigned and we would be off to war. But I promise you my love, I will come back to you. You are the one thing that will keep me fighting with strength drawn from our love, every moment. So until I return, take care of yourself. I will write again in the nearest opportunity.
Yours,
Soldier in love.

Comments