Day 4
My Dear Darling,
Today passed in endless travel. We are not in enemy territory yet. So it is easy to cover long distances in short time. It is quite sad to see such beautiful places and then think about the destruction the war would bring.
One oasis we passed, I loved the most. Such greenery that makes you feel like venturing deep into the Amazon. The rare, wild flowers kept my gaze fixed on them during our respite. I watched a beautiful red flower devour a stout little bee, reminding me all too well of the purpose of my journey. Survival of fittest. Beautiful and delicate things can be deadly too. Even the savage survival of that blossom I wish to witness with you, hand in hand. As much as the relaxation such beautiful visions give me, they make me feel lonelier, even with us comrades bonding together. I even have one of my good friends from my earlier military service in my squadron here. Yet, it is your voice that I wish to hear.
Look at me. I am writing everything but what I really need to. Saying it would make it feel true. I don't want it to. But I need to tell you even if it gives me much despair. I am quite sure you came to know this today. My dear, I am sorry. You will not be able to write me. My location will always be unpredictable. Even if you knew, receiving your correspondence without being intercepted by enemy hands will be too difficult, if I get it at all.
How do I go day after day without your words?! Dread and loss fill my heart. I can only tell you occasionally of my days but I can never know of yours. When I served in the previous war, I did not have anyone to write to. I did not feel this pain squeezing my heart tight as a python breaking it's prey. But now I know what my comrades meant when they said they missed their wives. In a day, I have gone from waiting for your letter to imagining your voice. What war does to a man! I pray, to complete my mission successfully and return to base so I can hear from you one more time.
Yours,
Soldier in love.
Comments
Post a Comment