Day 3
My Dear Darling,
I am glad to hear you are well and that you're staying with your mother. I will feel comfortable also if I know that you're with familial company. Give your mother my greetings.
I am getting deployed tomorrow and I do not know when I can write you again. But tonight, I once again lay awake in my quarters thinking of you. The dark night outside feels baleful, filling me with dread for the days to come. I am supposed to be a man of valor. I ought to be your hero. But my love, I am scared. I promised you I will come back to you. I am going to do everything in a man's power to keep that promise. But my heart asks the one horrendous question. It asks, "what if?", for tomorrow, it all begins.
In the midst of the storm raging in my heart, you stand calm in its eye, smiling ever so peacefully. You have become my strength, my line of life. Strange how a man goes to war to save his country but in truth fights hardest to get back to his heart that he left back home. I wonder if every soldier is like that. Such thoughts fill my mind already, before the first fight commences.
There is so much for me to share with you but now that I am writing this, words fail me. I am overcome by the feelings of missing you. I now try to sleep with our bed and your warmth in my mind's eye, telling me I am home.
Yours,
Soldier in love.
Comments
Post a Comment